Back pain is a rather unpleasant phenomenon that can indicate the presence of serious diseases. The lower back has a greater load than other parts of the spine, so it is more prone to injury.
Spasm in the lower back can be a symptom of sciatica, osteochondrosis, scoliosis, and many other conditions.
Lower back pain: possible causes
This can occur after sports training, a long stay in one position, after an awkward movement.
- recent pregnancy / birth;
- sport training;
- sedentary work (drivers, cashiers, etc. );
- work associated with significant physical exertion;
- work in an upright position.
After an overload, the discomfort disappears by itself - just rest. Its periodic appearance indicates the presence of pathology. Without quality therapy, the condition can worsen significantly - sometimes only surgery is indicated.
Diseases accompanied by discomfort in the lower back
This symptom in medicine is classified into primary and secondary.
In the first case, the discomfort is directly caused by diseases of the back, especially of the spine:
- osteochondrosis of this area (one third of all cases of pain);
- spondylosis / spondylolisthesis / spondylarthrosis;
- protrusion of the intervertebral disc or intervertebral hernia.
They say about secondary pains when they are caused by injuries of other organs:
- fracture due to osteoporosis;
- tumor in the spinal canal;
- spinal fracture;
- muscular effort;
- anatomical narrowing of the spinal canal;
- kyphosis / scoliosis / kyphoscoliosis / Scheuermann-Mau disease;
- arthritis (rheumatic, psoriatic, arthrosis);
- discitis, osteomyelitis, spinal tuberculosis;
- urinary system disorders: urolithiasis / pyelonephritis;
- gynecological diseases: ovarian cancer or cyst, endometriosis;
- complicated pregnancy.
Types of pain
Severe lower back pain
These are observed in osteochondrosis. Discomfort is present when moving, sitting, lifting heavy objects and also when coughing / sneezing. Unpleasant sensations can be given to the lower limbs. The patient urgently needs to see a neurologist.
Severe discomfort accompanies sciatica. The pain is dull or sharp, aching, usually one-sided.
It can give to the buttock, thigh, and also the lower leg; aggravated by the change of position, coughing, walking. Radiculitis is treated by a neurologist. Patients are advised to rest on a firm mattress which will support the lower back.
Sharp lower back pain
This can be caused by sitting in an uncomfortable position for a long time, carrying / lifting heavy objects, falling, hitting, sudden movements, as well as drafts and hypothermia.
An acute attack accompanies the displacement of the intervertebral discs. The latter occurs with a fracture of the spine, osteochondrosis, hard physical work, weight lifting.
Displacement can also occur after surgery in this area. The diagnosis in this case is made by a neurologist. It also prescribes a treatment.
Painful pain in the lumbar spine
This happens with myositis - inflammation of the back muscles. The disease appears after severe overvoltage or hypothermia. It is accompanied by stiffness of movements. The pain becomes acute with movement.
Chronic (permanent) back pain.
Periodic attacks accompany deforming spondylosis. And the affected area can become numb. Also, sometimes there is weakness in the legs.
He should also be taken into account that chronic pain is characteristic of Bechterew's disease, of oncological pathologies. They can also indicate a metabolic disorder.
Sometimes it seems to a person that the lower back hurts, but in reality the reason lies in the defeat of a completely different part of the body. This happens with diseases of the pelvic organs, pancreas, kidneys, colon.
Back pain: when to see a doctor?
Do not hesitate to visit a specialist in the following cases:
- the attack lasts 3 days or more;
- the discomfort arose after an injury;
- at the same time, the lower back, lower leg and foot hurt;
- the pain syndrome is combined with numbness of a limb.
What to do with severe spasms in the lumbar region
If the causes are unknown, it is necessary to measure the temperature. An increase in this indicator indicates infection and inflammation. Other symptoms are also determined (violation of stool, vomiting, pain on one side only). So you need to call a doctor or an emergency team.
If the causes are known, such as a muscle strain or bruise, an anti-inflammatory drug should be taken first to reduce the discomfort.
Relieves swelling, increases fluid circulation to remove harmful substances from the body, helps a single dose of a diuretic.
An orthopedic belt or even an ordinary towel will help repair the muscles and bones in a stable state.
What not to do with lower back discomfort
It is forbidden to carry out warm-up procedures without making a diagnosis.
They cause blood flow, which is not always safe. With prolonged discomfort of an unknown nature, do not use painkillers. In this case, the disease will still progress, but without discomfort.
It is possible to set the vertebrae in any part of the back by a chiropractor only after examination, diagnosis and determination of the cause of the pathology. The vertebrae are not always displaced due to trauma, this can also occur due to dystrophic processes. The reduction can pinch the nerve and destroy the processes of the vertebra.
How to treat back pain at home: folk recipes
An alcoholic tincture of burdock or eucalyptus will help relieve discomfort. It can also be used for compresses. For a similar purpose, fresh horseradish leaves are applied to the affected area. They are changed daily as needed.
- Horse chestnut ointment. The melted fat is mixed with dried horse chestnut grass and camphor oil. Components are taken in equal proportions. The agent is applied to thin pieces of black bread and applied to the affected areas;
- You can treat with horse chestnut tincture. Inside it is moistened a cotton cloth or gauze, which is applied to the lower back;
- Effectively relieves discomfort in the joints and bone dye of the golden mustache on "Bishofite". It is necessary to add 35-40 particles of the plant in ½ l of the latter. The mixture is left for 14 days. As time passes, it is filtered and applied at night for compresses.
Feeding for back problems
To strengthen the bone system, it is necessary to enrich the diet with healthy foods and reduce the amount of harmful ones contained in it.
Liver and fatty fish (eg salmon, sardine, mackerel) are very useful. These foods are rich in vitamin D, fatty acids and niacin.
Dairy products, meat, cereals, fresh fruits, especially garlic and lemons - all these should prevail in the diet.
A lot of potassium is found in kale and spinach and vitamin C in citrus fruits.
Vitamin A can be obtained from eggs, dark green leafy vegetables, red, orange and yellow fruits.
You should consume fewer caffeinated drinks, as well as sweets, spicy, fatty and fried foods.
Exercises for the spine
With mild discomfort, as well as for the prevention of such in the back area, it is recommended to perform a number of exercises:
- Lie on your back, put your hands along your body, slightly bend your legs at the knees. The legs lean to the right and the body in the opposite direction. In this position, they lock for 5 seconds, then return to their original position. Turn in the other direction in the same way. You have to complete 10 approaches;
- On your knees, put your hands on a chair in front of you. Then bend and arch your back as much as possible. Perform up to 10 approaches;
- Lie on your back with your arms / legs straight. First, the right leg is raised approximately 15 cm from the floor and held elevated until a feeling of fatigue appears. Repeat the same with the left leg. You have to complete 5 sets with each leg.
Back pain prevention
To reduce the risk of problems, you need to follow a few simple rules:
- Less time spent sitting
- When you work in a sedentary way, every hour you warm up your spine and limbs;
- Lift / carry weights correctly: keep your back straight, do not lift abruptly, divide the load into parts;
- Perform exercises to strengthen the muscular corset (support for the spine);
- The mattress must be moderately firm to adequately support the lower back;
- Watch your posture, don't bend over;
- Get up more often to the wall, touching it with your heels, buttocks, shoulder blades. You have to stay in this position for 3 minutes;
- It is recommended to practice sports to strengthen the muscles that support the spine: walking, skiing, wushu / qigong gymnastics, swimming, yoga;
You shouldn't go running, boxing, tennis, martial arts, skiing, horseback riding.